We owe them our lives… and they will improve our lifestyle
Microalgae provide us, by photosynthesis, with the oxygen we need to breathe. They are also the first step in the aquatic food chain. For this reason, we owe them our lives, but they will also improve our lifestyle. In fact, given their composition rich in proteins, carbohydrates and lipids, they are the source of many beneficial products for mankind in a wide range of sectors, such as human nutrition, feed, agriculture, aquaculture and cosmetics, among others. On top of that, the scientific international community agrees that, in the soon future, microalgae will competitively generate clean energy and second generation biofuels, contributing therefore to a sustainable development in both, environmental and economic terms, for the following reasons:
- They are able to biofixate via photosynthesis up to 2 kg of CO₂ per kg of biomass produced
- They are an inexhaustible, very productive natural resource
- Daily harvesting is possible (approximately 30% of the total cultured volume)
- They do not need fertile lands, not competing with human nutrition
- They grow in sea, fresh, brackish and waste waters
AlgaEnergy is confident that the discoveries, technologies and products derived from microalgae will all contribute towards improving the welfare and progress throughout the world, protecting the environment, nature and life on our planet.